WHY SUP (Stand up paddleboarding) FOR FITNESS?
Steeped in Hawaiian heritage and an ancient form of surfing SUP is fast becoming a mainstream sport in the oceans and waterways worldwide. Its vast appeal is due to the relative ease of learning the sport, a very accessible means to the ocean and a great way to stay fit. Our OceanFIT program offers a variety of land and ocean based options to experience the sport of surfing or SUP where we have incorporated a relative beach based fitness class targeting aerobic and anaerobic fitness, balanced based routines utilizing the Indo Board and other hand-eye and balance-coordination activities all designed to improve water based sports activities but also land based activities we perform on a daily basis. The OceanFIT program is also offers a very effective cross-training opportunity and a change to your weekly fitness routines.
BENEFITS OF THE OCEANFIT PROGRAM:
- Excellent effective means to improve fitness, strength, stamina balance and coordination
- Very accessible means of experiencing a water based sport, river, lakes or oceans!
- Dynamic challenging activity to improve your balance.
- Core strength improvements is the foundation of the OceanFIT program by utilizing movements and exercises which require plenty of lower limb, joint and hip stabilization.
- Improved confidence and sense of achievement regardless of skill level.
- An intense full body strength endurance workout.
- The balance and stabilization gains benefit anyone looking for active rehab activity during recovery from injury and also an effective cross training platform for any athlete.
The core is continually used during the paddle stroke movement. It stabilizes the stroke and improves stroke efficiency and power.
The lower limbs are used to stabilize the standing position during the stroke and used to maintain balance.
Many of the upper body muscle groups are continually utilized; back, shoulders and chest are integral to efficient and powerful paddle strokes.
Paddleboarding offers a low impact form of physical activity. As a result there is a significantly reduced instance of injury.
Along with previously mentioned benefits paddleboarding and surfing are great ways to de-stress, burn calories and improve aerobic fitness.
Balance training improves balance, proprioception, coordination, neuromuscular function, core strength and postural awareness but when incorporated into a fitness/resistance training program the Indo Board provides a wider range of benefits and muscle activation than a conventional stable environment training program.
Training in sand requires less stability and less energy returned during prescribed activity resulting in greater muscular activation in order to achieve the same output. As a result more calories are required for the same work performed on a conventional or non-sand hard surface. Research has shown that in terms of running 1.6 times more energy is required for same output on sand compared to road.
OCEAN FIT – INDO BOARD BEACH FITNESS PADDLEBOARDING SURFING
The workout consists of the Indo board, strength and conditioning based beach training and paddleboarding/surfing. Classes are 2-3 hours in length and include snack and refreshments. Our OCEAN FIT program is also limited to 2 people per session. Please inquire as to availability for any OCEAN FIT-SUP/SURF lessons other than those times offered on our calendar.